Our Most Important Job
As your oral healthcare providers, we believe that is our responsibility to keep your mouth healthy and to assess any abnormalities or changes that could potentially be signs of oral cancer. Your Houston dentist, Dr. Dassani at Dassani Dentistry, is in a unique position (inside your mouth) to detect and diagnose oral cancer in the early stages, before it progresses and becomes deadly.
What we look for
There are many signs and symptoms of oral cancer that we are on the lookout for during your regular exams, and that you should always be aware of and keep an eye out for at home (can occur on the lips, mouth, tongue, gums, throat, or any area inside the mouth):
- Swelling, thickening, lumps, rough spots, crusting, or erosion
- Velvety white, red, or speckled patches
- Unexplained bleeding
- Numbness or loss of feeling
- Pain or tenderness
- Persistent sores
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Hoarseness, chronic sore throat, change in voice
- Ear pain
Risk factors for developing oral cancer include:
- Smoking – Smokers are six times more likely to develop oral cancer than non-smokers
- Chewing – Patients who dip, snuff, or chew are 50 times more likely to develop oral cancer
- Alcohol – Oral cancer is six times more common in drinkers than non-drinkers
- Family history of cancer
- Excessive sun exposure
Advanced technology for earlier detection
The earlier oral cancer is diagnosed and treated, the better your chances at survival and recovery. That’s why we’ve invested in a high-tech Velscope® oral cancer screening device. Velscope® oral cancer screenings use natural tissue fluorescence visualization to allow us to detect abnormalities that would otherwise go unseen by the naked eye. Velscope® gives our team and our patients peace of mind, and the power to fight back against oral cancer.
Give us a call!
If you or your dentist has noticed any of the above warning signs, an oral cancer screening with our high-tech Velscope® screening device can give you peace of mind, and might even save your life. If you have any questions about oral cancer screenings, or would like to schedule an appointment with your Houston dentist, Dr. Dassani at Dassani Dentistry, give us a call today!