A Healthy Mouth Starts With Healthy Gums: A Guide to Preventing and Treating Gum Disease
Posted on May 4th, 2023
Gum disease, a.k.a. periodontal disease, is a bacterial infection that affects the gums and bones that support your teeth. It is very common and without proper treatment, it can lead to tooth loss and other serious health complications. At Dassani Dentistry in Houston, TX we understand the impact gum disease can have on your overall well-being. Here is all you need to know about gum disease:
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is caused by bacteria in plaque, a sticky film of bacteria that forms on teeth. When plaque is not removed through proper oral hygiene practices, it can harden into tartar, which can only be removed by a dental professional. The bacteria in plaque and tartar can cause inflammation and infection in the gums, leading to gum disease.
- Poor oral hygiene
- Poor nutrition
- Certain health conditions like diabetes
Symptoms of Gum Disease?
- Red, swollen, or bleeding gums
- Bad breath,
- Loose teeth
- Changes in bite or jaw alignment.
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Receding gums
In its early stages, gum disease may not cause noticeable symptoms, which is why regular dental checkups are important.
Treatment Options for Gum Disease
Treatment for gum disease depends on the severity of the condition. Below are treatment options for gum disease
- Professional cleaning: In the early stages of gum disease, a professional cleaning from a dental hygienist or dentist can remove plaque and tartar buildup and help prevent further damage to the gums.
- Improved oral hygiene: Practicing good oral hygiene habits including brushing twice daily, flossing daily, and using mouthwash, can help control the bacteria that cause gum disease and prevent further disease progression.
- Scaling and root planing: A deep cleaning procedure that involves removing plaque and tartar from below the gum line and smoothing out rough spots on the teeth roots to help the gums reattach to the teeth.
- Gum graft surgery: If gum disease has caused significant gum recession and loss of bone, gum graft surgery may be necessary to restore the gum tissue and protect the roots of the teeth.
- Bone grafting: In cases where gum disease has caused significant bone loss, bone grafting may be necessary to help regrow the bone and restore support to the teeth
- LANAP: LANAP stands for Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure. Using a soft-tissue laser, the gum pocket is treated to remove harmful bacteria deep in the periodontal pockets, eliminate unhealthy tissue, and promote healing.
Maintaining healthy gums is essential for achieving a beautiful smile. Contact Dassani Dentistry in Houston, TX to schedule a consultation with Dr. Dassani and learn more about preventing and treating gum disease. Our team is dedicated to helping you achieve optimal oral health and a beautiful smile.
The content of this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.
About Meghna Dassani, DMD
Dr. Meghna Dassani received her initial dental training from the University of Mumbai, India, where she graduated in 1996 as Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS). After working as an associate for one year, she established her own practice in Mumbai, India. She successfully operated this practice for six years prior to moving to the US. When Dr. Meghna Dassani is not in the office she is at home being a mommy to her 2 beautiful girls and enjoying time relaxing with her husband. Since opening her own practice in 2011 she doesn’t have a lot of free time but when the time allows she enjoys traveling, reading, gardening, cooking, visiting with friends and family and of course SHOPPING with a Starbucks in her hand!